Monday, March 3, 2014

March Nail Art Challenge: Chevron Polish polish aka Happy Casimir Pulaski and Paczki day!

I'm back! My last post was in November. A number of things happened then. My computer died. The holidays came. The shit got real on writing my dissertation. I had little inspiration for nail art and littler amount of time! I did do a sunrise gradient, but didn't get around to taking photos. For Thanksgiving, I did a manicure for my sister of owls similar to one I did earlier with water decals. For Christmas, I did my sister's and my own nails, but it's a bit late to post that, so I will probably just wait for this December to do so! I did a stamping mani for Valentine's day, and I may post that even it's a bit late. Like last October, I found a similar nailart challenge for March.. so here we go!


I think it was made for last year, but that's ok! As you can see, I am already behind. The first one is for chevron. For those not in the know, chevron is basically zigzags. It is a new-ish trend going around in the nail art world, and there are a number of ways to do it.
1. free hand with a marker or nail art pen
2. paint tape and use regular or pinking scissors as a sticker
3. cut tape with regular or pinking scissors and paint and paint over it as a stencil

I chose to use pinking scissors and then paint over it. It didn't turn out quite as nice as I would of liked. I believe this is due to me using too much polish and rushing when lifting the tape off of my nail.

As today is Casimir Pulaski day, a Polish holiday celebrated in Chicago, and tomorrow is Fat Tuesday (or paczki day), which is also big in Chicago, generally celebrated by stuffing yourself with Polish donuts known as paczki, I went with a red and white (the colors of the Polish flag) theme. It's pretty great that these two days ended up next to each other this year!

I used OPI Big Apple Red as a base color with a glittler topper by SOPI Be-claus I said so. The white is the new sephora nail polish Formula X White Matter. Topped with Setche Vite.

Not a terrible first try, but not great. 

I need to show off my new ring, too! I decided to try a second way to do it on my index fingernail. This time I used my nail art pen. The problem with it was that the white is just too transparent. It may have worked better with a white base and red pen. Alas! 
Overall, not much of a sucess, but I really love the red base and glitter combo. You can't tell, but it looks like red ruby slippers! Love!

If you are curious about the strange Polish customs, here are some links!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_Pulaski_Day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki

And lastly, as crazy as it sounds... I found paczki in Fort Collins, Colorado yesterday! Yum yum!!






No comments:

Post a Comment